top of page
Tax Prep

Tax Problems

Are you having problems with the IRS? State tax dept? You're not alone.


Reliant is here to resolve your tax problems and put an end to the harassment. We pride ourselves on being very efficient, affordable, and of course, extremely discreet. Tax problems do not go away on their own; they just keep getting worse. If you owe the IRS, do not face them alone.




Tax Problems:



  • Unfiled Tax Returns

    • Many people fall behind on filing for many reasons. Usually after missing one year turns into two and three and then it becomes overwhelming. If someone is required to file tax returns, the IRS at least wants to have the current and the prior six on file.


  • Back Taxes Owed

    • Some taxpayers have filed the tax returns but did not pay the taxes owed. Doing that for several years, plus interest and penalty can come to a lot and should be taken care of through one of the many options available. 


  • Tax Liens

    • Liens may be filed against the property of the taxpayer.


  • Wage Garnishments

    • If employed, your employer may receive an order requiring them to withhold part of your wages to send into the IRS or State.


  • Bank Levies

    • Banks may receive an order to freeze the bank account and send out money from it.


  • Asset Seizures

    • After a lien is filed against property, they can come and physically seize the property


  • Identity Theft

    • Some taxpayers find out a tax return was already filed using their info. They usually find this out when a reject is issued. 


  • Payroll Taxes Owed

    • The IRS considers owing payroll taxes to be much more serious than owing income taxes. At least half of payroll taxes are known as trust fund taxes since the employer has withheld that portion from the employees pay, held them in trust and due to send them in.


  • Sales Taxes Owed

    • State sales taxes are also trust fund taxes. Businesses collect sales tax from customers, hold them in trust and remit them to the government. Not paying sales tax is actually looked at as theft.




Tax Resolutions:



  • Currently Not Collectible

    • This is a designation the IRS can give to a taxpayer that owes taxes but has no ability to pay. Once put into CNC status all collection activity stops. The debt does not go away, interest and penalties continue to accrue. The IRS will periodically revisit this status to see if there were any changes in financial condition. 


  • Offer-In-Compromise

    • This is often the best solution if qualified. This is a settlement with the IRS in which they agree to accept less than is owed to close out the debt.


  • Penalty Abatement

    • If one does not qualify for CNC or OIC, it is at least possible to have the penalties removed. Penalties can be substantial, and removing them can go a long way.


  • Installment Agreement

    • If a taxpayer cannot get rid of the tax debt, they can at least pay it over time with monthly payments. For income taxes monthly payments can be stretched for as long as 7 years, but if payroll taxes are involved that max payoff period is 2 years.


  • Innocent Spouse Relief

    • This is one of several spousal defenses. One can assert their individual rights separating themselves out of the joint filing if their spouse did something on the return they were not aware of.


  • Statute of Limitations

    • Generally speaking, the IRS has 10 years from the day the tax is assessed to collect the tax. One must find out their CSED date. CSED stands for Collection Statute Ending Date. Once that date comes, the tax debt becomes $0. 


  • Amending Prior Year Tax

    • Sometimes the best solution to a tax problem is to amend the tax return. The IRS may change the original tax return and they will not benefit the taxpayer in their changes. Amending the return could be the answer. Also, the quality of the original tax return depends on the quality of the tax professional who prepared it. 


  • Filing Prior Year Tax

    • Filing old tax returns is important because the IRS will not approve a resolution until the current plus six prior years are filed. 



bottom of page